Wednesday 4 September 2013

Sour dough starter

On Monday I started my sour dough starter so I don't have to rely on shop-bought yeast (on more steps towards sustainability). I followed the instructions on the back of the bread flour packet. It wanted 70g of flour and 70ml of water, which works out at about three heaped table spoons of flour and a bout an inch of water in the kilner jar. You need to store it somewhere warm, I keep mine in the airing cupboard in amongst the towels, and feed it 70g of flour and top up the water 70ml a day and give it a good stir. I forgot to do mine yesterday, I hope it is ok!

You need to do this for about a week, and then you can store it in the fridge and use 150g instead of yeast. After that you feed it occasionally when the bubbles stop forming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...