Monday 22 July 2013

A lot can change

In so little time. Nearly three months has past since my last pot. But so much has changed. I got a new job, which I am thoroughly enjoying. I have moved from a rental, into my own house which I partially own. So this means I have much more growing room for my plants.

Currently I am using my conservatory as a greenhouse as my garden doesn't have one. My chilli plants and tomatoes I brought from my previous house are doing great in their new home. The scorching heartache that Britain has been having for the past fortnight is helping dramatically. But it does mean watering everything twice a day. You can see from the photo below how scorched the grass is!


One of my many raised beds, I have another one yet to build and am hoping to buy some more in the future. The soil quality is really poor where I live. It is very heavy and clay-y. So instead of trying to improve the soil I decided to start from the beginning. I rad somewhere on the Internet, that lining the raised beds with cardboard helps to prevent weeds and stain moisture so I decided to give that ago.

I have a ton of winter brassica plants on order, due to arrive at the beginning of August and also my wall flower towers which I will put tomatoes, strawberries and herbs in next year. 

My current strawberry plants are in their first year and sadly, I have only picked around 5 of the red type. I also planted white ones, which are a small alpine variety (I forgot the name), they are incredibly tasty and will definitely plant more. I must have picked around 20-30 tiny tasty yumminesses. 

I have also a mature plum tree at the bottoms of the garden, I am not sure what variety they are but they are purple. I can't wait for them in a few weeks time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...